We know about Relationship Marketing We are experts in loyalty and incentives · We like to create unique experiences Master in Digital Marketing Management – UPF-BSM Acquire specialized knowledge to manage the digital marketing of your organization. In its golden age, which is not so distant,  Palestine Email List  television was everyone’s favorite medium of communication. All demographic groups spent a lot of time watching TV and this was the epicenter of entertainment. Television had usurped the position that radio had long held in the population’s content consumption patterns. But then the internet came along and things changed completely.

The network offered new forms of entertainment and access to new content formats. Later, the internet became the epicenter of VoD. Instead of watching the content at the time scheduled for them – the essence of traditional linear television – streaming platforms allowed access to them at any time, whichever was best for viewers. They were also ad-free, which made the experience even more attractive.

Streaming platforms were climbing positions and becoming more and more popular, accumulating more and more viewing time and being a more important piece of consumer entertainment. The great series of the moment and popular cultural milestones are already coming from these companies.

So what happened to television? Traditional TV has entered a crisis, as numerous studies and multiple statistics have shown time and again in recent years. But, in addition, with television there has been a generational fracture. Streaming has taken the younger generations and television has been the older ones. Baby boomers are the resistance of linear TV.

A generational break
Data from the US market serve to understand this change in trend. Streaming is, in all generational groups, the one with the highest percentage of preference. Still, there is an important difference between the youngest and the baby boomers. 77% of Gen Z members and 74% of millennials say that streaming is where they spend the most time consuming content. The percentage drops slightly to 66% for Gen X, but plummets with baby boomers. Among these, it is 40%.

In fact, baby boomers are the only group in which, if you add the two types of television that can be seen in the United States – cable and networks – television surpasses streaming. 38% spend more time watching cable television channels and 7% of networks. Together they are 45%, five points more than television.

The data is not very different from what can be found in Spain. 2020 was a rare year to analyze content consumption behavior patterns, because the confinement created a somewhat artificial peak of content consumption on linear television.

A 2019 study noted, however, that television was losing its youth . Thus, both millennials and Generation Z became “light” television viewers, who watched the fewest minutes of television per day. The big viewing figures were for the baby boomers. Change strategy This could lead broadcasters to change their content strategy, focusing on the demographics that do watch them and leaving content more “young friendly” for their new online viewing platforms. But it could also lead to having to change your advertising strategy. Television could be the lever to reach a very specific niche in the population.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.